Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Gannon-English 99: Literacy Among the Ruins

This article was in some ways humerous. For example in the beginning, othe professor believes his new job is going to be like one in a movie, which is not always the case. "I used Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting as my goal and I was very close" (215). Over all, the article was tragic. Meaning, the professor felt pitty for the students and by the end of the article so did I.

I have not been in such a segregated class myself, though I have been in a pre-baccalauerate ccourse that was on a Pass/Fail basis for math not English. However, I have seen classes that have certain groups that stay together in a section of the class and you can always single out the students who take the course seriously. That does not mean that any of these students are dumb,by reading this article it only showed how some students need more help and specific instruction to demonstrate and develope how well they can write. It seems to me that the students had incredible potential to write not only about the topics in their current lives but other broader topics. All they would need is to learn how to further elaborate and describe their ideas. I do agree that English is not something to be learned, it's somethinig you learn how to do, by practice.

No comments: