Monday, September 17, 2007

Readings: Chenney/Tannen

First off, I thought these readings were inetresting. In the Chenney article, Politics in the Schoolroom, when she mentioned the National History Standards neglected the good in American history and the bad in another countries history. I was upset to think that an organization would allow children to be taught that. I believe that history should tell both sides, that is, mention both negative and positive aspects of what's being taught, I don't see where the problem is in that. Also, the segment about how girls are being "shortchanged" and meritocracy. There should be some preperation in schools on on meritocracy because that is essentially how American capitalism works. We are tolled that we all have the opportunity to succeed but our success is usually measured by the our salary and things we own. Though material things are not all that measures success our society is revolved around competition.

Second, Tannen's article, The Roots of Debate in Education and Hope of Dialogue, I found that I can agree with reasonable arguementation and understanding to listen. For example, when people are taking part in senseless argueing I personally don't want to listen or I feel they don't know how to argue because they are trying to prove the other person wrong instead of giving them reasons why they're right.

No comments: