Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Serena Nanda-"Arranging a Marraige in India"

Serena Nanda's "Arranging a Marraige in India" brought new insight on how American's percieve arranged marraiges. The families in India chose the most suitable mate for their son or daughter; this ensures a secure future and well being for the couple. Much like the author, I was confused to know that some people in this culture accept that their husbands or wives are chosen for them. " '[...] I must let my parents chose a boy for me. My marraige is too important to be arranged by such an inexperienced person as myself' "(142). It is good to take into consideration how people who experience this actually feel about it but I still feel that the person one marries or forms a meaninigful commitment to should be of their choosing. A person can not be experienced unless they experience something for themselves. This article reminds me of Roiphe's "A Tale of Two Divorces" when she states that she has come to be in favor of arranged marraiges although there are still negative aspects of that. Nanda mentions that though it is a more secure way to be engaged the issue of an illegal dowry and competitive in-laws which can later have emotional and even fatal consequences. Ultimately, it is equally diffucult for one's parents to find a suitable spouse for their children as it is for the child themselves to find who they feel they belong with. Instead of an individual supporting the family of their spouse, they are free to create a family of their own.

No comments: